Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Facebook- Can a Post Damage Your Career?



Does someone have the right to be fired; suspended from school due to a post or photo on Facebook? If the post/photo has nothing to do with your professional/student life does your employer/student administration have the right to penalize you because of it?
As Facebook becomes more entrenched in our daily lives, it affects our lives on a personal as well as a professional basis. Case in point- many teachers come up with a “fake” name for their Facebook account so their students can’t find them on the social networking site. But where is the line drawn?
Check out the link below as it is a story of a student being punished over something posted on Facebook by her school that had NOTHING to do with her academic life.

Thoughts?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/28/philippines-student-facebook-bikini-photo_n_1384673.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

3 comments:

  1. See my comments re: John-David's previous post. I'm still on-the-fence as it relates to the student/instructor Facebook thing. I'm becoming more of the mindset that if you want to maintain true privacy, don't share the information digitally.

    That said, who wants to become Facebook 'Friends?' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still on the fence as well... we could totally be facebook friends!!! However, would not want my employer to friend me... I think the people I work w/ daily have NO reason to know what I am doing on the wknds... Also, if this was not a post grad class and I was an undergrad I wouldn't want my teacher to friend me. So I guess my agruement is that anyone in my full time professional life shouldn't friend me on facebook but part time professional and personal is fine :)

      Delete
  2. I do want to be Facebook friend! I think it's a great way to connect and nurture "lose" relationships where you're not that close to them but can still feel connected and know what they are doing.

    I also see facebook a great place to build a personal brand and I'm learning how to do that!

    ReplyDelete