Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A HEALTHY DOG IS A HAPPY DOG



They say a dog is a man's best friend.  Well in my case it is a woman's best friend.  Meet Buster, my 2 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  When I adopted Buster I was told that this breed doesn't have a bad bone in it its body which I found to be an understatement.  Buster has the biggest heart and a loving spirit.  I was also warned that his precious heart has to be taken care of.  This breed is known to have congenital heart problems.  I was informed that it was of the utmost importance to make sure he was on a good diet and to never let him become overweight as this could lead to heart problems.  So there are no table scraps for Buster.  I have him on a natural diet which includes his meal and his treats.  I buy holistic dog food  that contains only whole foods, with no wheat, corn, soy, preservatives or artificial colors and flavors.  Being on a healthy diet and not overfeeding is not only important for a breed like Buster's but for all dogs alike.  Obesity has become a national problem amongst pets.  I think it is more important to spend a little extra for quality dog food and protect your dog's health.  This can also be a cost saving measure in the long run when it comes to vet bills should a pet have health problems due to obesity.  Buster is one happy and healthy little guy and I want to keep him that way for many years to come.




5 comments:

  1. Buster is a handsome little devil, isn't he? And from what I understand, this breed makes quite a lovable companion.

    I grew up with pets, so I could never NOT have one. I have a cat at home -- Allie Chandler. She's getting old (16ish), and she's still pretty active. Like you, I'm a firm believer in a good diet. Allie's on a WELLNESS diet. Which brand does Buster eat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica, your dog is adorable -- and he looks healthy. It's great that you are making the effort to keep Buster on a good diet, it's important. I have a Labrador Retriever and have changed her food a couple of times because I was not happy with the ingredients. She now eats Wellness and seems to like it. Of course as a Lab, she likes just about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so cute! Where did you adopt him from? I would love to get a dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so cute! Where did you adopt him from? I would love to get a dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buster is also on WELLNESS which is his favorite over other brands. I make a point of feeding him in the morning and picking up his food by early evening. This keeps him on a regular schedule. I knew that I wanted a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and that I wanted a Blenheim (red and white). The breed also comes in black & tan and ruby. So, I searched for breeders in my area. I met with several and their dogs looked overweight. When I finally found Buster he was only 4 months. His parents were there and they were beautiful and in great shape. So I felt confident in my decision to adopt Buster. He was the one.

    ReplyDelete