Sunday, February 26, 2012

Going to Puerto Rico - any reccomendations?

I love traveling and I can say I was lucky enough to visit many places so far, but never had the chance to go to Latin America. I love Latin cultures, probably because I am from Romania and there are a lot of similarities. People are open and nice and it is very easy to establish a connection. Maybe it is just an idyllic template created by my imagination, but it was confirmed so far by my trips to Spain and Italy. 
Whenever I get in a new place I like to take a sit somewhere in a crowded plaza and look at people - observe how they interact with each other, how they look like, and  imagine how it would be like to live there every day. Next thing I do - is try their food and listen to their music. I also like to compare the image that I had about the place before visiting with the reality - to see if they match.  
I have books about Puerto Rico (we will visit Culebra and San Juan), but did not have time to read much (hope to catch up on the plane). The only thing that I can associate with the new place so far is a song of Vaya con Dios that was a big hit in the 90's ....... but only in some parts of the world:).
Anyway, I am pretty sure before I get there, that I won't witness any dramatic local love story and I will try to stay out of fights :). I just hope to be able to get some good local food, listen to some music and try to understand the culture better. Have you ever been there or heard anything about the place yet? Do you have any recommendations about stuff to do, places to eat, things to see? I would appreciate any tips!

1 comment:

  1. You should definately go for local food like black bean soup and a trip to the jungle which I found most impressive!
    If you like Rum go for the Baccardi production facilities ;-)

    ReplyDelete